I’m Rachel, a journalist with 20 years in the industry as a writer and editor – Sunday Express, The Mirror, Daily Mail, more! and Bliss, to name a few. I have spent years creating lifestyle content for newspapers, mags and brands to fund my love of food, fashion, interiors and fabulous shoes.
I live with my husband Dave and our two boys, Morgan and Sam. In 2006 we swapped urban east London for the gorgeous Berkshire countryside. Far from the wilderness years I was half-anticipating, I discovered this great county is full of likeminded people all looking for fresh air, fun and more pub lunches than you can shake a stick at.
Ten years later, we are still here and have put down tree-like roots. With two boisterous boys, and an overexcited dog to entertain (and occasionally escape), I am living proof there is a fab life to be enjoyed outside the M25 – and I am excited to discover new stuff on home turf to share with my awesome Muddy readers.
The original Muddy Stilettos (Oxon/Bucks) has been running in its present form since Nov 2012 and has become so successful that it has moved into nine further counties – Hertfordshire, Berkshire (c’est moi!) Northants, Surrey, Kent, Norfolk, Sussex, Somerset and Cornwall, with more to follow in 2017.
Did I mention the awards? *Ahem* Muddy Stilettos is a Finalist (ongoing), Best Art & Culture Blog in the UK, 2017, won Most Innovative Blog at the UK National Blog Awards 2015, and was also awarded Top 3 Lifestyle Blogs in the country in 2014 and 2015.
This is the Muddy Mantra, so you know what to expect from the blog:
- I try everything out myself so that you can fully trust my opinions. On the occasions that I haven’t been somewhere myself, I let you know that’s the case.
- I don’t write advertorial. This means I will never accept payment to write about something I don’t believe in.
- I accept tickets to free shows, festivals, restaurants, events etc with the purpose of reviewing or publicising them on Muddy Stilettos, as I’m sure you appreciate it’s pretty expensive zipping around trying stuff out all the time. Hotels, restaurants, cafés, bars – if you want me to try you out, please get in touch at: firstname.lastname@example.org, or via Twitter @muddyberkshire
- I’ll never write a nasty review. I’m not into trashing people, brands or companies. But if you’re not good enough, I won’t write about you in Muddy Stilettos, regardless of whether I have paid for the experience or not. This gives me the editorial control I need and the trust that my readers demand.
- Muddy Stilettos is a commercial blog and as such accepts advertising. However, we believe passionately in only working with brands that share our ethos and are relevant to our readers. We retain editorial control and independence at all times.
I hope you love the blog. Please tell your friends about it, and sign up for my splendiferous free posts delivered to your inbox!