Speedy supper: smoked Haddock Curry
Desperately seeking dinner inspiration? We've got a 30-minute fab fish curry for you from Tart London – the super-cool caterers of choice for the fashion set.
What are you having for dinner tonight? Pasta and pesto again? Or a virtuous salad, followed by four chocolate digestives at 10pm because you’re starving? It’s easy to lose the will to live when it comes to your weekday dinner repertoire but Muddy is here to help with our Speedy Supper recipe series. (Do tell us if you give them a whirl, won’t you?)
This week, we welcome Lucy Carr-Ellison and Jemima Jones to the Muddy kitchen (excuse the mess, the dishwasher is broken). Collectively Tart London, they’re the super-cool caterers of choice for the fashion set. Their fast, fragrant, fish curry tastes indulgently creamy but is actually fairly light, and works as both a quick midweek dinner and for when you’re cooking for a crowd at the weekend. [Ainsley Harriott voice] Ready, steady, cook!
Smoked Haddock Curry with Coconut and Sweet Potato (serves 3-4)
Smoked fish works superbly with these flavours and this curry is one of our crowd-pleasers; it’s a really good one to have up your sleeve as it’s guaranteed to go down well – and is a nice little ego boost too, as everyone always asks for the recipe. It’s fragrant and satisfying while also being light and healthy, so you won’t suffer from a post-dinner slump like you might after some heavy stews and curries.
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- Thumb-sized piece of fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 1 bird’s eye chilli, finely chopped
- Bunch of coriander, stalks chopped and leaves reserved for garnish
- 1 tsp coriander seeds, crushed
- 2 tsp ground turmeric
- 4 lime leaves
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and chopped into 1cm cubes
- 2 tsp fish sauce
- 1 large glass (250ml) white wine
- 1 x 400ml tin coconut milk
- 500g skinless smoked haddock fillet, cut into large chunks
- 1 lime, zest and juice
- handful of spinach
- salt and pepper
- To serve: yoghurt, sliced chilli, lime wedges, flatbreads or rice
- Heat the coconut oil in a large pan, then add the onion and garlic and sauté for a few minutes over a medium heat. Next add the ginger, chilli, coriander stalks, coriander seeds, turmeric and lime leaves and continue to sauté for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the sweet potato, fish sauce, white wine and coconut milk and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 12–15 minutes until the sweet potato is soft.
- Add the haddock to the pan, stir carefully and cook for 4–5 minutes, then add the lime zest and juice, spinach and season.
- Divide between warmed bowls and serve with yoghurt, sliced chilli, coriander leaves, lime wedges and flatbreads or rice.