A pimped up chicken salad
I declare salad season officially open! This hearty chicken one is easy-peasy to make but packed with flavour.
As someone who wearily opens the fridge, closes it and cooks (although that verb might be pushing it) pasta ’n’ pesto at least one night a week, there’s something very appealing about Secrets Of Great Second Meals by Sara Dickerman. This cookbook explores how to use up your leftovers, beyond simply bunging them in the microwave and reheating. She shows you how to use leftover potatoes to make fish cakes, rustle up a soup with leftover roasted veg or, if you’re feeling flashy, deploy leftover salmon to make Korean pancakes. The approach is not just speedy, it reduces waste and cost too – what’s not to like?
We tapped up Sara for a smart way to use up any leftover chicken from your Sunday roast, and, voilà, we have this hearty salad, which is ultra-simple to make but packed with interesting flavours. Let’s go!
Ginger and spring onion chicken salad with cucumbers
- ¼ cup vegetable (or another neutral) oil
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon light soy sauce
- Juice of 1 lime
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt, plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 bunch spring onions, thinly sliced, white and dark green parts only
- 1 cup shredded cooked chicken
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded, and cut into ½ inch diagonal slices
- 1 cup mixed fresh green herbs: any combination of coriander, mint, Thai basil, parsley and watercress
- 2 tablespoons chopped toasted cashews
- Cayenne pepper, to taste
In a medium bowl, whisk the oil, vinegar, soy sauce, lime juice, sea salt, sesame oil, and ginger. Stir in the spring onions. You can use the dressing right away, but it is most flavourful if it can sit around for 30 minutes or more before serving.
To make the salad, in a large bowl, combine the chicken, cucumber, herbs, and cashews with dressing to taste. Season with extra salt and cayenne pepper to taste.
Secrets Of Great Second Meals by Sara Dickerman is out now. You can buy it here